Food Should Taste Good!

Food Should Taste Good!
Food Should Taste Good!

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Gluten Free Pop Overs

GLUTEN FREE POPOVERS

I read a recipe that was for a German Pancake several weeks ago and wanted to experiment with it.  After several weeks, Erika and I came up with something quite different.... but the taste is wonderful!
I love accidently discovering good food! :)
These babies melt in your mouth and you cannot eat just one! (or at least I can't!)
The top variation has maple glaze... The bottom one was just butter and powdered sugar.

I can picture a few variations, including Lingonberry butter with powdered sugar for a Swedish variety, Lemon curd with powdered sugar....
Or just plain, for plain old folks like me! :)

I know they aren't pretty... I haven't perfected that yet. :)  And don't know how I could.
They look interesting in the oven.  They puff up, and then when you take them out, they sink down  which is the desired effect.

So, here is the recipe:  If you try it, please drop a line and say if you enjoyed it or not....or offer ways to improve! :)

                                               Gluten Free Popovers
PREHEAT oven to 400º

1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 tsp salt  ( I use sea salt)
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 TLB sugar

STIR all dry ingredients WELL

add:
1 TLB vanilla extract
6 eggs
3/4 cup of milk
1/4 cup of melted butter

Blend with mixer until all lumps are gone and everything is well mixed.
It will be a very thin batter. (so don't worry)

Using a spray oil.... grease muffin tins.  (I used a regular muffin pan and a mini muffin pan)

Pour batter into each muffin pan so it is about 1//2 full.  (notice.... not half empty) :)

Bake at 400º for 20 minutes. 
Popovers will swell up and even turn in the pan.....
They will start to get a golden color....

Remove from oven and place on racks.
Serve warm with melted butter and powdered sugar,  or any variety of toppings you choose or just plain. 
They remind me of the taste of a French Crueller.

Recipe for maple glaze:

9 TLB powdered sugar
2 TLB real maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
mix well
drizzle over popovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

wonderful thoughts from my readers