Food Should Taste Good!

Food Should Taste Good!
Food Should Taste Good!

Thursday, December 24, 2015

GLUTEN FREE NIGHT SHADE FREE TAMALES



I don't know about you but I LOVE tamales.  I grew up in Southern California, and loved the tamales we would eat there.  I honestly have not tasted a great tamale in years!  That is until now. :)

Tamales are famous for having hot chili peppers in them, but this recipe will not use hot peppers. If you like them and can have the pleasure of using them, add them!  But for me, I can't, and many folks can't.
So here is a recipe just for you!

I love the texture of these tamales.  I have worked hard to make this recipe just right.

4 cups masa harina
21 oz broth from pork loin cooked in a crock pot. * if you don't have enough add beef broth
2 teasp baking powder
1 1/2  tsp of salt
1 cup lard
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix all ingredients together with a mixer until the dough is soft and spongy. You don't want it too moist or too dry.

2 lbs pork loin or favorite meat cooked in a crock pot.  (Add 1 to 2 cups of water when cooking)
season meat with ground cumin, pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, cilantro,
(All to taste)
I season some when cooking, but after the meat is cooled, I shred it and season it to taste.

You will need to soften corn husks in water for several hours.

Drain the husks,  spread dough on husk making room at the bottom to fold up for steaming, and enough room to roll tightly together.
(see photo)

Place in steamer in large stock pot.  Do not let water touch the tamales.  Tamales should be standing upright, or slightly leaning, but do not over stuff the pot.
Wet a towel and place over the tamales.
Cover with led and steam.  Add small amount of water every 15 minutes.
Steam for 1 hour.

The tamales should be firm but not hard to the touch, and come out of the husk easily.

Serve plain or with your favorite topping.





No comments:

Post a Comment

wonderful thoughts from my readers